This red, white and blue flag was designed by Charles Stoneking, incumbent county commissioner, in 1985, and adopted by the Commission that same year. The white "O" stands for Ohio, the blue "N" for Noble, and the 15 white stars represent the 15 townships of the county. The red, white, and blue colors were chosen to identify with the United States of America. This information was collected from a county clerk by John Purcell. Noble County was established in 1851. It was named for pioneer James Noble, the first settler to buy land there in 1814.