This blue flag features an outline of the county map. The circular scene in the center shows a light house on Lake Erie, and a covered bridge over a river. With sixteen covered bridges, Ashtabula County is tied with Fairfield County for the most covered bridges in Ohio. A vine of flowers appears on the right side. Ashtabula County was organized in 1811. It was named for the Ashtabula River, which means "fish river" to the local Native Americans.