Capitol Square and the Ohio Statehouse is one of the most significant architectural accomplishments of the early republic. Its Greek Revival Doric architecture, and its setting in Capitol Square, give the impression of permanence, elegance and grandeur deserved by the original State Legislature who passed a law on January 26, 1838 to build the new Statehouse. The cornerstone of the Ohio Capitol was laid July 4, 1839. The Legislative Chambers and Governor's Office were occupied in 1857 and, after 22 years of construction, the Statehouse was completed in 1861.
The Ohio Statehouse is both a historic landmark and the center of Ohio's government.
The Atrium was completed in 1993 as a connector between the Statehouse and the Senate Building.
The Senate Building houses the offices for 31 of Ohio's 33 state senators.
Statues and Monuments
Many statues and monuments adorn Capitol Square depicting Ohio's values and ideals.
One of the Statehouse's most distinctive exterior features is the low, conical roof atop the two-story cupola.